Re: [Patch] Indentation in parser.yy

From: James
Subject: Re: [Patch] Indentation in parser.yy
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:06:22 +0100

On 15/09/2010 12:40, Graham Percival wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 08:39:26AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
Valentin Villenave<address@hidden>  writes:

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden>  wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Trevor Daniels<address@hidden>  wrote:
You know, after rebuffs like this it's hardly
surprising you don't get many people offering to
help you.

Valentin is a personal friend,

Whilst I do understand that such tactless rebuttals might look
impressive and unappealing to newcomers,

Doesn't help.  Social standards are not something a witness can switch
off at will rationally.

Hmm... 'Pot' and 'Kettle' are two words that spring to mind here David ;)

Good point.  Next time I'll do a grumpy&fluffy reply -- first I'll
give a Graham-style response to shock&awe, then (in the same
email) I'll give a kind and generous response.

and that would be a shame.

I am sure I am not the only person who sees a huge unread thread with certain developers too-ing and fro-ing on it and think "oo goody!", then go make a cup of tea, get some biscuits and settle down for some entertaining 'banter' (even if most of it I can barely follow - the detail is beside the point in most cases).

This self-deprecating, second para of this thread kept me amused for days:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/29578

On a slightly less frivolous note, Graham's 'grumpiness' does certainly make me think 'twice' (and sweat slightly) before submitting any patch for LilyPond doc and I am sure it is this grumpiness that has kept the beast that is Doc, in check.

Manners doth maketh the man, but it sure has hell wouldn't make good Documentation.

I guess we all donate our time for different reasons, but praise and polite conversation is not one I do it for.