RE: Clef support for cue notes (issue2726043)

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Clef support for cue notes (issue2726043)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 18:26:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden on behalf of Valentin Villenave
Sent: Sun 31/10/2010 22:12
To: Graham Percival
Cc: address@hidden; address@hidden

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> In correct English, that word would be capitalized.  However, most
> people don't bother to write that well.  So it's not normal to see
> this capitalized correctly.  :)

Interesting. Could you elaborate?

--

If it's being used as a 'proper noun' it would be capitalised.

But it seems the rules are slightly different for American English (which our
Docs are in), here from wikipedia (so it must be true!)....

"In English, the word following the colon is in lower case unless it is a
proper noun or an acronym, or if it is normally capitalized for some other
reason. However, in American English a colon may be followed either by a
capital letter or by a lower-case letter, depending on usage; where direct
speech follows, a capital letter is used; where an acronym or proper noun
follows, a capital is used; otherwise, a lower-case letter is used. Some modern
American style guides, including those published by the Associated Press and
the Modern Language Association, prescribe capitalization where the colon is
followed by an independent clause (i.e. a complete sentence). However, The
Chicago Manual of Style requires capitalization only when the colon introduces
two or more complete sentences."

So either this is a proper noun or an independent clause.

James

PS It looks wrong to my eyes BTW (but I'm not American...or Canadian ;) )