Re: Issue 37 - new work

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Issue 37 - new work
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:07:43 -0500

On Jan 29, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM, address@hidden
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Hey Hanwen,
>> What you describe above is close-ish to what I wound up putting in my newest
>
> I don't think so, since the main scoring loops still loop through all
> combinations in no particular order.

Ah, OK, now I see what you mean.  Yes, you're absolutely right - if it is
possible to slim down the candidates, then the loop speeds up.  In other places
in the code, there is a comparison via reasonable_score, but I wasn't sure if
acting only on reasonable scores would make them so unreasonable that what was
once unreasonable now becomes reasonable and is erroneously chosen.  I'll check
that out later today.

> I looked closer at your example; the proof-of-concept code I showed
> you does not consider stems as collision objects, and hence configs
> where beams overlay stems of other voices are not considered problems.
> Let me try to refine my patch to include stems as well.

OK!  In doing so, make sure to address stem direction: a big headache I went
through in my initial draft was figuring out how stem direction influenced the
calculation.
In my current code, NoteHeads (and accidentals) that belong to a beam push the
beam in the direction of said NoteHeads' stem, whereas NoteHeads that are not
part of the beam push the beam in the opposite direction of said NoteHeads'
stem.

Cheers,
MS