Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:16:42 +0100

Am Montag, 7. Februar 2011, um 16:03:45 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
> > 2011/2/7 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> >> If you want to make it part of the previous commit, you can do so with
> >> git commit -a --amend
> >>
> >> But I don't recommend doing that.
> >
> > Aha. Ok.
>
> Rule of thumb: --amend is fine as long as long as the original commit
> never got into any repository other than the one being amended.

My workflow is that I make several commits (i.e. I don't amend) in each
feature branch. But before actually merging back to master (or pushing to the
server), I do a

git rebase -i origin/master

which gives me the option to reorder the patches and to combine multiple small
patches into one meaningful patch. This way, when still working on the
feature/bugfix, I can see the evolution (and check that I have really dealt
with all objections/suggestions). But when I push, I don't clutter the
repository with many small/trivial patches, but with one or two larger patches
for one feature/bugfix.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886