Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:44:14 -0400

On Mar 11, 2011, at 5:41 AM, address@hidden wrote:

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:11 PM, address@hidden wrote:

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:02 PM, address@hidden wrote:

There is still a vertical spacing bug in the footnotes :
\markup {
\footnote e e
\footnote e ef
}
There should be a fixed distance between the baseline and the number.

The problem is that Lilypond processes graphical objects before it processes pagination, making it impossible to know exactly how much space a footnote will take up when the graphical object is processed.

One solution to this problem would be to reprocess all top-level markups with correct footnotes after having done the pagination, then redo the pagination and see if all the footnotes stay the same.  If so, keep the current configuration.  Otherwise, rinse & repeat.  This actually seems kinda sorta doable, although I'd have to do some homework on how these markups are stored internally and figure out to what extent these internal representations survive downstream into the pagination phase.

Cheers,
Mike

Hey all,

I posted a sketch for a two-pass footnote automatic numbering spacing algorithm to issue 4244064.

I just need to figure out a better way to name the output file (you'll see it's current name in the patch), but it addresses Bertrand's concern about spacing in the grand majority of cases so long as people compile the same file twice back-to-back.

Cheers,
MS

I think (hope) that this is a safe way of going about i/o that will work on all systems (see file-cache.scm).  Let me know if it's problematic.

Cheers,
MS