Re: shortened flags affair, part 8: choosing appropriate flag (issue4312

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 8: choosing appropriate flag (issue4312057)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:51:25 +0100

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 10:51:16AM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> 2011/4/4 <address@hidden>
> >
> > This patch loses flags!  is that deliberate?!
> >  stem-tremolo.ly
> >  flags-default.ly
> >  beam-collision-beamcount.ly
> > ... etc...
>
> Did you "make clean" before building?

No, sorry!  My fault.  I'll check this again.

> The
> question is: should we use word "standard" or maybe "default" or
> "normal" (for regular flags)? Word "standard" has one problem: it
> blends with direction ("standardu" looks acceptable, but "standardd"
> can be confusing at first sight.). Also, i'm not sure which one has
> the best-fitting meaning. Maybe "regular"?

I'd go with "normal".

> Sorry for that. I though that patch_review meant that it's time that
> other people see this and give their opinions, not necessarily that
> the patch is ready for including.
> I was puzzled and worried why there were no reviews for a whole week
> and thought that maybe needs_work label was the cause.

Ah.  Well, unfortunately we (as a developer community) do not tend
to review patches very often.

Think about it this way: how many times have you reviewed my build
system patches, or Colin's documentation patches?  The same
reasons why you don't review those patches apply to people looking
at your patches.

I have some plans to improve this, but like all our "social
problems", I'm waiting until 2.14 is out first.