Re: Backporting / stable

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Backporting / stable
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 08:37:01 -0600

On 4/30/11 8:07 AM, "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

I actually think it would be more work to remove the beam-collision-engraver
than to keep it in.  But at this point I expect it to be months before we
are sure we're clear of Critical bugs in beam-collision engraver.

Beaming affects literally every piece of music.  And there are so many beam
cases that it seems to me to be unlikely that we'll be able to wring this
all out in a time frame of say 6 weeks.  I expect it to be more like 4-6
months.  We have had beam-collision-engraver in git since Feb. 9.  We still
have Critical issues related to it.

Please don't consider this a complaint about the beam-collision-engraver.  I
think it's a *great* feature, and I'm glad Mike has jumped in to tackle it.
It's just *extremely* hard to verify something that affect so much music in
so many different ways.  We have what we think are good regtests, and then
we find something new that we haven't covered.

But I'm certainly willing to wait for a bit to see if we can get rid of all
the critical bugs.

Thanks,

Carl