Re: Redirects lilypond output to reduce make doc noise (issue4550119)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Redirects lilypond output to reduce make doc noise (issue4550119)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:23:41 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:11 PM

hmm, on my machine this creates a log file like:
  snippets-names-173988768 .err.log
(note the space)
in the main dir.  Instead of that, could we:
1) not have a space

The space is a bug that I'd not noticed - it comes from using the .join() function to concatenate, which is faster but since I copied another line which used ' '.join and not ''.join, then you get the added space. You get the same for the logfile. I think I can correct this by simply correcting the relevant file, create a new patch and re-upload? This will upload the full set of changes, not just the correction for this bug.

2) direct the log for each file to the corresponding .ly file?  I mean,
I see
  15/lily-f332c4db.ly
(you'll have different numbers for your stuff)
I'd like the output for
  15/lily-f332c4db.ly
to be written to
  15/lily-f332c4db.err.log
  15/lily-f332c4db.log
(maybe even .std.log ?)

I don't know how you'd do this. AFAICS there is only a single call to lilypond with the command line being the snippet-names file. This file has a long list of "included" lilypond files, which I presume lilypond processes internally. There is therefore no separate output to redirect.

it might also be good to consider the lilypond-book (and lilylib) patch
separately from the build system.  For example, just test it with
  out/bin/lilypond-book foo.tely
(after making a foo.tely) and make sure the log files work with that.
Then, once the lilypond-book patch is pushed, add it to the build
system.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4550119/

That's how I did my testing. TBH the change to the build system (effectively adding one word) is so small it's not worth separating them.

--
Phil Holmes