Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from makedo

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from makedoc)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:46:37 +0200

Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2011, 19:21:53 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> I think we need to cover it properly - based on past experience it's likely
> to generate some heated discussion.

Yes, I also think that we should properly discuss the console output of
lilypond and probably different log levels.

> I also think we should discuss general "quietening" of make.  Should it
> always generate as little output as possible, consistent with seeing
> errors, or should that be restricted to when using the QUIET_BUILD flag?

I would prefer having a quieter build by default. Usually, the build will run
without any problems, then you don't need the excessive debug output we
currently have. And if a problem makes the build fail, it is usually pretty
obvious what the problem is. And for more intricate problems, you can always
run another build with verbose output to easier debug the problem if it is not
obvious anyway.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886