Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from make d

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:53:54 +0200

Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2011, 20:09:50 schrieb Matthias Kilian:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 05:27:03PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
> > 1. what's the official unix definition of STDERR vs. STDOUT?
>
> Quoting the standard:
>
>       3.358 Standard Error
>       An output stream usually intended to be used for diagnostic messages.
>       [...]
>
>       3.360 Standard Output
>       An output stream usually intended to be used for primary data output.
>
> Of course, this definition is meant for typical unix command line
> tools, where you want to pipe the output of one program as input
> into another program and still see "diagnostic messages" from the
> first program. Lilypond is a little bit different.

Many GNU applications work like that. On the other hand "tar -v" print the
processed filenames to stdout (not to stderr!).
(la|pdf|)tex on the other hand prints everything to stderr, so as a user you
have no other choice than either silencing tex altogether (i.e. using
batchmode) or having the whole excessive output on the console...

There is no way (at least none that I'm aware of) to separate the warning
messages of latex from the excessive debug output about including file X and
file Y and graphics Z etc....

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886