Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:37:10 +0100

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 08:46:17AM -0700, Keith OHara wrote:
> In defense of astyle, I should have written astyle -Udp
>  --unpad-paren
>  --pad-paren-out
>  --pad-oper

> and if a human puts a space in "context ()" astyle -Udp leaves it in place.

?!  hmm, looks promising.

I've added my (and scripts
to dev/gperciva-astyle.  When I look at
  git diff origin/dev/gperciva-fixcc origin/dev/gperciva-astyle
I'm still leery about some changes.

Don't get me wrong -- I really want us to use astyle.  Begin tied
to a specific version of a text editor is silly, and is bound to
cause more pain and confusion down the road.  But at the moment,
astyle+postprocessing still appears to produce inferior code to
emacs+postprocessing (

One possibility that I still haven't tried is to use
exactly, except replace the emacs call with an astyle call.  I'm
not certain how many of the "nice" changes that does are
the result of emacs, and how many are due to the complicated regex
in the script itself.