Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:01:45 +0100

(re-sending to list)

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 03:47:11PM +0200, Jan Warchoł wrote:
> Ok, since comparing gperciva-fixcc and gperciva-astyle branches didn't
> work for me, plese verify whether i understood correctly:
> - we are discussing which program we will use for code formatting, not
> the actual style

Yes-ish.  We are discussing which program we will use for code
formatting, and the style will therefore be defined as the output
of whichever program we choose.

> - each of the suggested programs uses style similar to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indent_style#GNU_style
> so whatever we choose, the results will be quite similar. Right?

I would say "vaguely similar".  Some programs have bugs.  We may
use more than one program (for example fixcc.py) for the
formatting, and any one of those programs may have bugs.  etc.

The difference between output of astyle and fixcc is 778Kb, and is
23173 lines long.