Re: Adds glissando stems to Lilypond. (issue4661061)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds glissando stems to Lilypond. (issue4661061)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 11:33:36 +0200

Hey all,
I've uploaded a new patchset that kinda sorta makes tremolos work.
There are still issues with beam placement and tremolo placement, though, that
I'll need to work out.  In the first attached example, you'll see that the beam
is typeset in the wrong direction and yet pushes the dynamics as if it were
typeset in the correct direction.  In the second, the beam is forced in the
correct direction, but the tremolo placement is incorrect.  Anyway, this gives
you more of an idea of what I'm after.  I think that, rather than inventing a
new grob to handle this, stems already provide a lot of valuable functionality
that, with the correct code, can be exploited for these glissando stems.

As of now, I can't think of any way to make these stems work with scripts.
Scripts, through the side-position-interface, need to know their direction
before line breaking.  I'd need a few hours to try to figure out a workaround.
The glissando stems don't go bonkers, though, with text scripts and dynamics,
although I've only run a couple test cases.

This is all a subset of the perennial issue in Lilypond that all directions of
grobs are known (or knowable) by the horizontal spacing upon which the line
breaking is based, which changes glissando length, which may change stem
direction, which changes the direction of some grobs, which would change the
horizontal spacing, and thus the line breaking, which naturally changes
glissando length, which could potentially have an impact on stem direction,
therefore changing the direction of some grobs, which would....

Cheers,
MS

{
<c' e'>1\p\< \glissando
\startGlissandoStem
\override Stem #'glissando-stem = #ly:stem::glissando-stem-positioning
<d g>4:64
<d g>4
<d g>8:64\>
<d g>8
% for some reason, the dynamics accommondate a down stem although the stem is
printed up
% if forced down, the tremolos are wrong
%\stemDown
<d g>16:64
<d g>16
<d g>8:64\<