Quick way to recreate docs

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Quick way to recreate docs
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 17:01:00 +0100

As many will know, I've been looking at the make process, and in particular make doc. I've found that there is a very quick way to remake docs into a PDF when any of the source text has changed. For notation, this takes about 2 minutes on my machine, compared with 2 hours 20 minutes for a full fresh doc make (I've just cited that for comparison of the speed of my Ubuntu VM). It requires that make doc has already been performed to set up many of the source files. Someone who knows Unix better than me could make it into a script.

Is this mechanism worth publicising? I don't want to get a problem where it's seen to be skirting the correct make mechanism, but if I was writing docs, this is the way I'd test the result.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad