Re: Quick way to recreate docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quick way to recreate docs
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:09:11 -0700

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 07:48:14PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <address@hidden>
> >On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 05:01:00PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> >Off the top of my head, I suspect that this can be done with
> > make out=www Documentation/out-www/learning.pdf
>
> I didn't know this command, but if I edit notation.itely (one of the
> includes in notation) I then get:
>
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ make out=www
> Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf
> make: Nothing to be done for `Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf'

Ok, what about
  touch Documentation/notation.tely
  make out=www Documentation/out-www/notation.pdf

The problem with the docs failing to rebuild when you edit one of
the included is well-known, and is almost certainly another of
these one-line fixes to the build system that requires 3 hours to
write.  :(

> >Well, we already have a "skirting" mechanism for doc stuff:
> > scripts/auxiliar/doc-section.sh
>
> Yeah - I've used that, but found it awkward to set up and doesn't
> (IIRC) give you the full PDF output to check.

Yes, it builds html instead.

*shrug*

I personally prefer to view docs in html, but I have no problem
with people wanting pdf instead.  I'm still a bit hesitant about
adding a script that duplicates existing functionality in the
build system, but OTOH it's not like we're short of disk space or
anything.