Re: Big web page

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Big web page
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:04:36 +0100

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 06:20:10PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I thought I'd start with a rather easier to follow description of
> how make website works.  It's attached as a text file with no
> formatting as yet, for quick thoughts.  If wanted I could put it on
> Rietveld as is, or if it's close enough to being useful, I could
> texify it first.

Looks fine, other than the indicated parts.  Go ahead and push it
to the CG, with or without texifying it.

> website: website-texinfo website-css website-pictures website-examples
> web-post

This is different in dev/website-build.  I'm still ok with you
pushing this version, but please look at dev/website-build really
soon.

> It loads its languages from langdefs.py, and therefore outputs the following
> unhelpful warning:
>
> langdefs.py: warning: lilypond-doc gettext domain not found.

Good point -- IIRC Reinhold had a plan for getting rid of those,
but we should make sure this is cleaned up before declaring "make
website" finished.

> website-bibs: website-version
>       BSTINPUTS=$(top-src-dir)/Documentation/web \
>               $(WEB_BIBS) -s web \
>               -s $(top-src-dir)/Documentation/lily-bib \
>               -o $(OUT)/others-did.itexi \
>               $(quiet-flag) \
>               $(top-src-dir)/Documentation/web/others-did.bib
>
> This is half the command.  It runs bib2texi.py on 2 .bib files -
> others-did.bib and we-wrote.bib.  This converts bibliography files into texi
> files with bibtex.

Note to ourselves (either write it on paper, or put it in the CG,
or make it an issue): I think website-bibs should be moved to
web-media-git.  If we regenerate the bibs each time, that means
the webserver needs to have latex installed, which is a royal
pain.

Given that we only change the bibs once every 5 years or so, and
since it has a huge set of dependencies, let's just store the
generated .texi files in web-media-git.

> It also outputs warning messages like:
>
> WARNING: Unable to find node '??e??en?? pot??????' in book usage.

Yeah.  :(
As you probably noted, I've lost patience with the translators.
Could you make a note to politely discuss it with them?

> website-pictures:
>       mkdir -p $(OUT)/website/pictures
>       if [ -d $(PICTURES) ]; \
>       then \
>               cp $(PICTURES)/* $(OUT)/website/pictures ; \
>               ln -sf website/pictures $(OUT)/pictures  ;\
>       fi

Changed in web-media-git.  Again, you can push the description if
you want, but that description will change once you see
dev/web-build

> website-examples:

same changes.