Re: Big web page

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Big web page
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:05:48 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Janek Warchol" <address@hidden>; "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 6:39 AM

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:32:59PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
So - going on comments concerning GOP, we have had one support, one
comment to the effect that someone once objected, and no-one
objecting.  Please could we consider this as a serious proposal, and
if anyone thinks we need to keep web-big-page.html please say so,
and why.

I object.  I think we should be conservative about removing stuff.
Nobody is seriously complaining about the broken images on
web-big-html, so let's just leave it alone for now.

Note that if web-big-html lacks pictures, then presumably other
manuals (like notation-big-html and contributor-big-html) will
also lack pictures.

No. This is because web-split is created during make website, whereas manual-split is created during make doc. make doc runs the scripts that fix up the images in manuals-split (they're put into the manuals-big correct, and into manuals-split wrongly. The script fixes the wrong ones).

Also note that fixing the pictures can
probably be fixed by adding the right symlink somewhere, or by
moving the -big-html manuals into a separate directory.  If we
really knew how the doc build system worked -- which we don't --
then fixing this would be a 120-second job.  Just leave it alone
until we understand stuff better.

There's nothing to fix except web-big.

I have discovered another reason for getting rid of it - it's almost
impossible to test any work done to change the way it's created (BTW
- this is not a bleat about an error I made earlier, it's something
I've realised as I documented make website).   The command "make
website" doesn't really make the website.

That's no worse than fixing any other problem in the doc build. has lots
more content on it - all the manuals, for example, the images, etc.
"make website" doesn't even create web-big-page.html.  "make
website" really only makes the html pages in web.texi.

Yes.  I mean, nobody expected "make website" to produce all the
binaries for download, right?

On my system, those things (manuals, pictures,
web-big-page.html) are only created by the much slower make doc.

If it helps, think of "the website" as "stuff immediately
available on*.html", whereas "the web manual" as
"one of the manuals produced by make doc"

I couldn't think of any way to avoid the name clash.

I've got no problem with what "make website" is called, or what it does. I just wanted to ensure there's clarity about what it doesn't do.

Phil Holmes