Re: Doc: NR Added new node for Custom Footnotes (issue 5315053)

From: graham
Subject: Re: Doc: NR Added new node for Custom Footnotes (issue 5315053)
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 08:17:42 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/5315053/diff/14001/Documentation/notation/input.itely
File Documentation/notation/input.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5315053/diff/14001/Documentation/notation/input.itely#newcode1032
Documentation/notation/input.itely:1032: Automatic footnotes create
default superscript numbers which flag the
Is the term "flag" often used to refer to footnote numbers?  This seems
confusing to me; quite apart from musical confusion about not flags, I'm
simply not familiar with that use of the term as a native English
speaker.

Can you say this simpler?  Maybe using "symbol"?  "automatic footnotes
create symbols (generally numbers) which indicate relevant footnote;
manual footnotes allow a custom symbol to be used isntead."

http://codereview.appspot.com/5315053/diff/14001/Documentation/notation/input.itely#newcode1049
Documentation/notation/input.itely:1049: @qq{bottom left} and @qq{top
right} of the grob respectively.
lolwut ?  why didn't Mike just pick one value (either the center or
top-left corner) and stick with it?!

this is unnecessarily confusing.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5315053/diff/14001/Documentation/notation/input.itely#newcode1059
Documentation/notation/input.itely:1059: To annotate chorded notes;
full colon : not semicolon.  And are chorded notes really the easiest
thing to describe?  What about just doing
  a4-\autoFootnote #'(0 . 0) "A note"
first, and _then_ breaking out the complicated stuff?

(and yes, I deliberately chose a4 instead of the more usual c4)

also, in your overview you stated that the command comes *before* the
grob, but in this case the footnote command seems to come after ?

http://codereview.appspot.com/5315053/diff/14001/Documentation/notation/input.itely#newcode1132
Documentation/notation/input.itely:1132: \footnote \super 1 \italic "1.
Little"
I'm lost.  it'd probably be easier to understand if I saw the graphical
output as well, but don't forget that we have blind users.

I want a simple example.
@lilypond
\book{
   \relative c' {
      a4-\customFootnote "a note"
   }
}
or whatever the syntax is.

Remember that @example is basically useless; if you think that you've
explained something by using @example, then you're wrong.  Sure, people
with a bachelor degree in math, CS, or physics can decypher the meaning,
but we don't want want to write the docs only for such people.

Simple, working, @lilypond[]s.  That's what I'm missing here.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5315053/