Re: Stable releases

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Stable releases
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:37:47 +0100

2012/1/16 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> I've been thinking more about the previous conversation about stable
> releases and coordinating work.
>
> David seemed unhappy with the idea of a stable release happening once we
> got to zero critical issues.  My interpretation of his comments was that,
> while zero critical issues may be a necessary condition for a stable
> release, it is not a sufficient condition.  Instead of having a stable
> release be a byproduct, it should be planned for, and development adjusted
> to make it happen.
>
> While GOP 9 said that we will treat all contributors as volunteers, and
> not assign tasks, I don't think that precludes us from working together.
> Somebody who identifies a strong vision can certainly rally volunteers to
> the cause.

I'm willing to be lead by a leader.  I'd like to invite some friends
to contribute to Lily, but i think there are too many changes going on
in our workflow now (and i remember Graham said we're not ready for
new people).  I'm willing to help with sorting this out, but i don't
have a clear vision of what should be done and how can i help.

I also think that separate release branch would be good, but i don't
know how much maintenance work it requires.

Janek