Re: having trouble fetching all remote branches

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: having trouble fetching all remote branches
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:58:36 +0100

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/2/7 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>> My local repository wasn't created with git clone, and i have only one
>> remote branch ('origin/master'); i cannot push to staging because of
>> that.  I've tried 'git fetch --all', but the other remote branches do
>> not appear, and i don't see a solution in git fetch description.  Any
>> help?
>
> I don't know if this is correct. If not, please say so:
>
> git branch --track staging origin/staging

Won't work if git does not fetch origin/staging.  If you want to do this
via command line rather than just editing .git/config, you will need
some "git remote" variation.  I think I tried about four times to get
this right, and then decided just to post the config file extract.

I am really bad at working with user interfaces.  And this is not even a
GUI but the command line.