Re: Staging/Master Merge - James' Patchy

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Staging/Master Merge - James' Patchy
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:30:27 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:12 PM

Did I mention git rebase -i already?  You don't need a separate branch
to work with it.  You can just use it to streamline an uncoordinated
sequence of commits wherever you committed it.

Just so you're aware, I think James and I follow a similar development workflow.:

Make changes and test they work.
Commit with lily-git
Make patch with lily-git
Save patch somewhere where I can't lose it.
Put patch for review
Reset git to abandon all changes with lily-git
Go and do something else.

Get patch push agreement
checkout staging
git am patch
push.

I'm sure branches would be more efficient and more git-like, but last time I tried multiple branches, I forgot what state each was in. With patches I can open them in an editor and look at them. And I am aware of gitk, but this system just works for me at present.

--
Phil Holmes