Re: Macro for(UP_and_DOWN) and 3 similar. (issue 2491) (issue 6109046)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Macro for(UP_and_DOWN) and 3 similar. (issue 2491) (issue 6109046)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 06:28:42 +0100

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 03:14:33PM +0200, Łukasz Czerwiński wrote:
>      I know that this is not a very positive message, but I am trying
>      to save you yet more anguish. Â The lilypond project currently does
>      not even function smoothly between senior developers with more
>      than 100 commits each; there is very little chance for a new
>      contributor to have a smooth and pleasant time helping us.
>
>    Oh, I didn't know about that. I'm reading some Lilypond mails and they
>    made me the impression that you *urge* new contributors.

Some people encourage new contributors.  I encourage new
contributors who want to work on administrative tasks.  I try to
discourage new programmers, precisely because they almost always
end up in situations like yours.

>    By the way, Janek stated in the mail regarding GSoC in February:
>
>      Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer of
>      Code 2012? What do you hope to gain by participating?
>         Most importantly: more contributors

That's because Janek is wrong.

Last January, I warned him that he should not try to recruit any
new programmers unless he was willing to mentor them because it is
very difficult for new programmers to get started.  I think you
have seen that my prediction was correct.

>    I don't understand what's not working smoothly between senior
>    developers. Could you describe in a pair of sentences? Is it a
>    situation without a solution?

Well, right now we have nobody running the automated tests to
check that new patches are ok.  So there will be no patches
accepted to lilypond.