Re: scheme debugging error

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: scheme debugging error
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:37:36 +0000

Hi Marco,
The scheme debugger was one of the first things I tried when I got
involved with LilyPond and always has been rather temperamental in the
way it behaved.  With help from some of the other LilyPond developers
we were able to get it working and document it in the CG but there
have been several problems with using it.

* There has been a major on-going release of Guile, the dialect of
scheme LilyPond uses.  As part of this release, the scheme debug
interface and API was completely re-written.

* I was hoping to complete the upgrade so LilyPond could use the new
Guile V2, but lots of things, including me getting sick, have got in
the way.  I am still working on this however.

** Some of the things getting in the way were also really cool, useful
stuff on the LilyPond side.

* One of the things I remember from when I looked at this was that
LilyPond would need to patch the Guile/Scheme procedure that kicked
off the REPL (the interactive scheme command line) to execute a
repl-hook, by which we could make all the LilyPond scheme-level
available to the REPL, including all the debug stuff.

** Ironically, the Guile team had already done this for Guile V2, but
decided not to back-port it to V1.8, as they had re-written the
debugger code. . .

* The CG is a great resource, but always regard it as being
work-in-progress.

Please accept my apologies for the state of the guile debugger in the
interim¸ and I'll carry on my work on the Guile V2 conversion as fast
and well as I can.

Cheers,

Ian Hulin