Re: Point and Click does not work on Windows

From: ArnoldTheresius
Subject: Re: Point and Click does not work on Windows
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 01:37:11 -0700 (PDT)

Eluze wrote
> if this is possible we could abandon the entry LYEDITOR?! (at least for
> windows)
>
> Eluze

Well,
I would keep the environment variable(s) as a last, top priotiry choice to
select which editor one is using.

>From scm/editor.scm:
/(define (get-editor)
  (or (getenv "LYEDITOR")
      (getenv "XEDITOR")
      (getenv "EDITOR")

      ;; FIXME: how are default/preferred editors specified on
      ;; different platforms?
      (case PLATFORM
        ((windows) "lilypad")/ *;;; my TODO suggestion: implement querying of
windows registry to select the users choice*
/       (else
         "emacs"))))/

Until now I did not find a function in guile to read registry values.
There is the command line program »REG QUERY ... « to get the information.
It's standard output needs to be parsed, and the call needs to be fail save
(dont throw an exception if it fails).
I tried /open-input-pipe/, but go the error message it cannot fork.

That looks like we need to execute a /system/ call and redirect the output
into a temporary file, then parse the file. Possibly we do this on several
pathes in the windows registry until we get an string. Then we need to scan
for specific keywords in this string to select one on the known editors.

ArnoldTheresius