Python 3 support

From: Julien Rioux
Subject: Python 3 support
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:41:46 -0400

Hi,

Our python scripts currently require a python2 interpreter with version at least 2.4, but by bumping the requirement to 2.6 we could start introducing
from __future__ import print_function
which will be one of the major step towards supporting both python2 and python3 interpreters with a single codebase.

One of the big hurdle to bumping the python version requirement is our own cross-platform build system GUB which provides 2.4, but last summer I was able to build lilypond with an updated GUB, based on some experimental branch by Jan where I added a few commits. You can find the patchset here: https://github.com/gperciva/gub/pull/6

I think the following would be a good 1-2 punch approach for the current development cycle: First, upgrade python in GUB and make sure we can build current dev and stable branches of lilypond from it. Then bump the python requirement in the dev branch and start migrating to a codebase that supports python 2.6+ and python 3+

Thoughts? Objections?

Regards,
Julien