Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by ad

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 14:30:40 -0400

On Oct 26, 2014, at 13:36 , Joram <address@hidden> wrote:
> So C instead of 4/4 because of the quarter notes (and not the 4 of them) and
> ¢ instead of 2/2 for the halves (not the 2 of them). A 4/2 would then be ¢
> not C, right?

I might be persuaded that you are right by an example of c being used with a
measure length of 3/4 or ¢ with a measure length of 3/2.

The way I have been looking at it, c represents quadruple meter and ¢
represents duple.  This interpretation is partly drawn from a hymnal I have in
which cc and ¢¢ are each used in songs with a measure length of one breve, and
I have difficulty believing that cc is being used to indicate 8/4.  It makes
more sense to say ¢¢ = 2/1 and cc = 4/2.  (One possibility that occurred to me
is that cc is a typo for ¢¢ and they both mean 4/2.  Simon dissuaded me from
that.)

I thought it would make little difference to people such as Simon whether their
Lilypond code says 4/2 or 2/1 as long as they got the right symbol, and I was
looking for a way to do it that was more consistent on the whole, based on the
examples I’ve seen.

Thanks,
—
Dan