Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by ad

From: Joram
Subject: Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:21:10 +0100

Hi Dan,

Am 26.10.2014 um 19:30 schrieb Dan Eble:
On Oct 26, 2014, at 13:36 , Joram <address@hidden> wrote:
So C instead of 4/4 because of the quarter notes (and not the 4 of them) and ¢
instead of 2/2 for the halves (not the 2 of them). A 4/2 would then be ¢ not C,
right?

I might be persuaded that you are right by an example of c being used with a
measure length of 3/4 or ¢ with a measure length of 3/2.

No, I havn’t seen that. I was arguing mainly because of the 4/2 = ¢ case that Simon explained here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-10/msg00273.html

The way I have been looking at it, c represents quadruple meter and ¢
represents duple.

This is an interpretation I guessed from 4/4=c and 2/2=¢, too. But I don’t think it is correct from the above mail by Simon, which I found quite convincing. I havn’t seen the double cc and ¢¢ so far. But wasn’t your style called single-C?

> This interpretation is partly drawn from a hymnal I have in which cc and ¢¢ are each used in songs with a measure length of one breve, and I have difficulty believing that cc is being used to indicate 8/4. It makes more sense to say ¢¢ = 2/1 and cc = 4/2. (One possibility that occurred to me is that cc is a typo for ¢¢ and they both mean 4/2. Simon dissuaded me from that.)

I thought it would make little difference to people such as Simon whether their
Lilypond code says 4/2 or 2/1 as long as they got the right symbol, and I was
looking for a way to do it that was more consistent on the whole, based on the
examples I’ve seen.

The same way they could use 8/4 or 4/2 to choose the symbol, couldn’t they?

I see your consistency issue. But according to my understanding the reason for the symbols is different and I would like to see Lilypond reflect musically and historically correct styles and not a posteriori invented rules. But I am by no means an expert on this. I added Simon because it seems he knows more than me.

In short:
- I appreciate this work on a new time signature style.
- I have doubts that the numerator should be used to select the symbol
- I would like to see a music expert comment on this, because I am not

Cheers,
Joram