Re: Reduce size of PDF files when inc. in *TeX docs (issue 194090043 by

From: dak
Subject: Re: Reduce size of PDF files when inc. in *TeX docs (issue 194090043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 18:34:34 +0000

Knut Petersen <address@hidden> writes:

On 15.01.2015 17:01, address@hidden wrote:

PDFTeX apparently does merge subsetted fonts,

Which version?

Those versions having the \pdfincludedcopyfonts setting?

so I don't think we should
need to include the complete fonts in order to get font merging. But
we
probably should work with coding vectors so that we can use identical
font names, just sparsely populated.

ghostscript, called by lilypond to produce pdfs, needs three encoding
vectors for the emmentaler glyphs, and writes three copies of the font
to the pdf file. I don't see a way to avoid that.

There must be some workable solution for Asian fonts I should hope.
I can't believe that some 10000 character font would be included
10000/256 times in a PDF file when thoroughly used.

I don't have any workable experience myself.  It's just a "this can't
possibly be the whole truth" feeling.  Sometimes it just overtaxes my
imagination what kind of thing people are willing to put up with.  But I
sure hope this is not another such case.

https://codereview.appspot.com/194090043/