Re: TextScript automatically italic in Dynamics context

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: TextScript automatically italic in Dynamics context
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 14:04:43 -0700 (MST)

On 8/26/2015 2:50 PM, Wols Lists [via Lilypond] wrote:
> On 26/08/15 21:42, Abraham Lee wrote:
> > Why is that? I see no reason that text in this context *must* be italic
> > by default (and I know it can be changed back). Can someone help me
> > understand the logic there?
> >
> Because, in pretty much every score I know, dynamics text is always
> italic?

While this is true (and I understand that historically it really was
from an italic text font), nowadays we don't usually use characters from
any text font for the most common dynamic text (mp, f, pp, sffz, etc.).
They usually exist as dedicated glyphs that have no "font-shape", italic
or otherwise. They just are what they are. This \override forces any
\markup text to automatically default to italic, which is okay, but
doesn't seem that desirable IMO.

This isn't a huge deal. I was just curious. It looks like its been this
way from the conception of the Dynamics context.

- Abraham