Re: Resending: further GUB failure

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Resending: further GUB failure
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:10:08 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

Yup.

> If so, I presume I should force the push? If so, could you remind me
> of the syntax?

Uh, followup mail to the mail you quoted?

    Phil, did you see the following message?  I'm asking because
    origin/release/unstable still looks like containing the additional
    commits not in master.  While that does not necessarily mean that your
    own release/unstable does, it is somewhat worrisome.

    If you have problems _pushing_ your own release/unstable because the
    current origin/release/unstable is not a proper ancestor of it, you can
    delete origin/release/unstable with

    git push origin :refs/heads/release/unstable

    and then overwrite with your local release/unstable (assuming that the
    _branch_ is where you want it) using

    git push origin release/unstable:refs/heads/release/unstable

Executive summary: just do

git push origin :refs/heads/release/unstable

and then repeat whatever push was rejected, but make sure to write the
whole :refs/heads/release/unstable incantation as the target of the push
since Git will not be able to deduce it correctly once you deleted the
branch on the server.