Re: Resending: further GUB failure

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Resending: further GUB failure
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:56:02 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>

I consider it a bad idea to have those changes in a release without
having them in master.  I think what you want to do here is to back out
those changes again since they were required as a consequence of issue
4550 which has been reverted.  You should be able to do this using

git checkout release/unstable
git reset --hard 314336b

and then start over with

git merge origin/master
git cherry-pick c3eeea3dd # This is the release news

What I was planning on doing and have now tried, was to reset release/unstable back to Dan's commit 59a6d1a06432fc0ca88c3023c646182f389ec1b5 and then repeat the merge of origin/master and the edits to VERSION and news, and then push this back to release/unstable.

This is rejected with a note that it will lose history and therefore can't be fast-forwarded. I presume the history that will be lost were the attempts to fix the GUB compile? If so, I presume I should force the push? If so, could you remind me of the syntax?

Thanks.

--
Phil Holmes