Re: lilypond.org - file storage

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: lilypond.org - file storage
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 13:15:48 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "James" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 11:57 AM

Hello,

On 30/08/15 11:34, Phil Holmes wrote:
OK - it looks like lilypond.org is now back, and I can SSH to it again.
However, I still can't complete the upload of files because of lack of
disk space on the server.  I've emailed the admin but no response yet.

That said, we do seem to be storing an enormous amount of potentially
unneeded stuff there.  Do we really need _all_ the 2.15 and 2.17
documentation stored there?
(http://lilypond.org/download/binaries/documentation/)  And all the test
output? (http://lilypond.org/download/binaries/test-output/)  Please look
at http://lilypond.org/download/binaries/ and let me know whether you
think we can delete some of that, or potentially archive it elsewhere.

I would probably at least start by removing all the old unstable release
stuff (2.15.x and 2.17.x) we're not going to need those really are we?

James

I've actually downloaded the test-output for 2.15.30 - 39 in case anyone objects, and it looks like the upload is back running again. I'll leave it another day or so, but then plan to *delete* all the 2.15 files, except 15.95.

We also have source files back to 0.0 and 1.0. I assume we could never recreate these from Git, but are we ever going to need to? It certainly seems pointless keeping lots of source tarballs, given that all the more recent history is in Git.

--
Phil Holmes