Re: small print

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: small print
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 07:26:27 +0000

On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 09:12:29 Maurizio Tomasi wrote:
> > On 4 Jul 2002, Simon Bailey wrote:
> >
> > > something i have seen quite often in orchestral pieces is that
> other
> > > voices are sometimes printed in small print during rests of a
> certain
> > > instrument.
> >
> >     Just so that you know, these are called "cues".
> >
> > --
> >                 Danny.
>
> After taking a look at the image Simon put on the web, I am not sure
> these
> are real "cue" notes. Their purpose should be to give the player an
> hint
> about what the other instruments are playing at the moment, while a
> real
> "cue note" is something the player him/herself has to play.

No, ``cue'' means someone else is playing it.  Small staves are
sometimes
used for one staff in a duet score where a part is provided, and for
ossias.
Is there a problem with making different sizes of staves available
within a staffgroup?  Small notes are used for harmonics too, in
addition to diamond shaped notes.  I thought ossias were done already,
but I don't find ``ossia'' in the index.

Why does the misspelling of ``staves'' as ``staffs'' persist?  Because
of
native English speakers who don't spell very well.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden