Re: \key

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: \key
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:20:54 -0700

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

It would be quite logical if there were an equal probability of notes
in a composition being in or out of the  current key.

Maybe it's a language question.  In Dutch, the name of an f-sharp is a
fis; it's quite unnatural (an uncommon) to refer to an f-sharp as 'f',
regardless of what key it's in.

The language point of view would be the same for English.

Even though it's not exactly comparing apples to apples, in Finale the
entered notes are automatically in the current key and extra clicking
raises or lowers the pitch.  In my example I would type 'f' plus some
modifier to get f natural or f double sharp.
Ah.  Are you certain that, if you think about it, you are not
confusing `quite logical' with `more like Finale happens to do it'?

By quite logical I meant the least work. Finale and some other GUI programs do it that way to save work. I have just installed RoseGarden and I see that it has a 'Follow key' button.

It may indeed be a bit apples and oranges, in LilyPond (or text entry,
ftm), you have to name a note.  Then, it's not logical to use give a
wrong name.
Agreed that there is a logic problem there but saving work is also logical. Perhaps entering in solfeggio mode would be useful but I was not trained that way.

If you select a note in a GUI program, it's logical for
the program to suggest the most probable one.

I think we used to have a special entry mode for this, called it
`viola mode' (I don't know the key we're in, but the sheet music I'm
copying from says `f' at this point, not `#f' :-), but I can't seem to
find it anymore.

That might useful but at least now I know the rules and can do what I need to get the work done.

Thanks for your work in this.

p.s. I am getting two copies of everything from this thread.  The
first one of each pair lacks the last three identification lines.
You shoud set your Mail-Followup-To: header.

Are you referring some particular software. I use Mozilla mail-news and don't know what that option means. Why would this only be happening in this thread?

Thanks,

Paul