Re: Lute tablature

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Lute tablature
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:30:06 -0400

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 01:21 pm, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     David> On Tuesday 20 May 2003 06:21 pm, William R Brohinsky wrote:
>     >> >> This whole subject would be considerably reduced in breadth
>     >> >> if one simple thing can be understood: lute tab is not
>     >> >> banjo tab. It isn't the popular internet guitar tab either.
>
>     David> Of course it is.  There is hardly any difference at all.
>
>     >> Except that the stems give you some note length information.
>
>     David> The stems are on the notation, not the tablature.
>
> No, in the Dowland facsimiles, the stems are above the tablature
> staff, but they're definitely part of the tablature.  They are
> indications of how many beats between this lute chord and the next
> one.  This is information that internet guitar tab (as far as I know)
> doesn't have, but lute tab does.

Guitar tab is utterly beneath me.  I have utter contempt for it.  Banjo
tab is necessary to supplement notation, not to replace it.  Lute tab
is the language of a dead instrument, and it is a large part of the
reason that the instrument is dead.  Of course one needs stems, but tab
stems aren't worth much because tab only has *one voice*, and that is a
*serious* limitation in spite of all the braggadoccio coming from some
other lute players.  DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.
The wars are not over.  Just the winning part is over.