Re: Including style files

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: Including style files
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:28:51 -0800

Simon wrote:

><snip>
>
>However, now I want to change the spacing between
>the staves, e.g., using
>
>\set Staff.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-3 . 3)
>
>Of course it doesn't make sense to put that line into the style file. Reading
>Section 4 "Changing Defaults" of the lilypond manual I don't see a single
>solution that does not require to add at least some lines nested inside the
>main
>file, e.g. inside the \paper block, which I don't want. I must be missing
>something very obvious. Can anyone help or maybe provide a "style file" that
>was
>used for a similar project?

This becomes much easier in later versions of the 2.7 tree, when many
\set's are replaced by \override's and therefore are eligible to be
included in a global \layout block (this includes vertical-extent).
Here's a skeleton of my standard style file:

#(set-global-staff-size 20)
#(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #f)
%use this for final editions when smaller PDFs are desired
\paper {
    #(set-paper-size "letter")
    leftmargin = 0.5\in
    linewidth = 7.5\in
    #(define fonts
      (make-pango-font-tree "Adobe Garamond Pro" "Bitstream Vera Sans" "Andale
Mono" 1))
    %The last parameter above should be set-global-staff-size / 20

    bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
        %insert markup here
    }

    scoreTitleMarkup = \markup {
        %insert markup here
    }

    oddHeaderMarkup = \markup {
        %insert markup here
    }
    evenHeaderMarkup = \markup {
        %insert markup here
    }

    oddFooterMarkup = \markup {
        %insert markup here
    }
    evenFooterMarkup = \markup {
        %insert markup here
    }

} %End paper block

\layout {
    \context {
        \Staff
        \override SeparationItem #'padding = #0.5
    }
    %etc.