Re: faster lilypond rendering

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: faster lilypond rendering
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:35:02 -0800 (PST)

I produce a 70 pages conductor's score in less than half an hour (and this is a *very* conservative estimate) on a two years old PC. True, it has 2GB of memory, but other than that, it is to be considered a fairly old beast by today's standards.

And it takes forever on my 700Mhz PII! So, cutting out processing of sections of music is of little use. I'm really looking for faster rendering in general... The final phase of rendering a 28 page conductor's score takes hours. This is much more than twice as long as other scores that are approximately half the length.

FWIW, this could be caused by or at least exacerbated by poor memory usage in the conversion phase. If the PS to PDF conversion loads the whole document into memory at once, this could all be the result of swap thrashing.

A two-year-old PC with 2G ram is not going to be at all equivalent to a 700 Mhz PII, no matter how much ram is being used. As suggested, the small amount of memory is probably the culprit. It may be helpful to look through the manual or the list archives for how to disable the point-and-click feature, which adds information to almost all of the symbols. I seem to recall a thread or three discussing this, and if you are able to disable the point-and-click, you will probably get faster ps->pdf conversion (and faster processing in general).

Josiah