Re: format conversion questions

From: Darius Blasband
Subject: Re: format conversion questions
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:49:47 +0200

Hello,

We are currently looking at the possibility of using Lilypond as typesetting back-end for Finale. In other words, the process we (I mean, Han-Wen and I) are
looking at goes as follows:

 - Music XML export
 - Convert to lily
 - Print on the fly.

I understand that the converter is meant as a migration tool where the generated Lilypond could be maintained from there on, but we what we are looking at is something where 100% automation is the ultimate goal, so that the original score can be maintained in Finale, and reproduced in Lilypond form anytime, to compensate for Finale's weaknesses
when printing the final scores, specially when part extraction is involved.

The Finale export of MusicXML seems to be decent (There was a bad glitch with old Finale 2005 versions though) and importing it in Sibelius gives appropriate results, except for percussion stuff, violin markups, rolled chords. There might be other defects in Sibelius's
Finale's importer, as we have not performed a complete sanity check on this.

(In all fairness, I must admit that "we" is at best a figure of speech: Han-Wen does the coding, I just look at the results...)

The MusicXML to Lilypond converter is now robust enough to deal with pretty large and complicated scores. We've applied it to a significant piece with good - even if incomplete - results. The overall structure is ok - and the complexity of just that should
no be underestimated ! -- there are just things missing.

Darius.

P.S.: Any help at financing the MusicXML stuff is welcome... I think there is still somewhere around the 700 Euros to be spent on this before a "common" score can be translated seamlessly, with dynamics, annotations, grace notes, and tons of other depressing
        details...

Atte André Jensen wrote:

Hi

I teach piano in a couple of music schools. Teachers there use everything from finale, sibelius, musicator and cubase to abc to typeset the stuff we give to students.

It would be nice to be able to share sheets between teachers, so I'm thinking about making a web based system that would allow people to access each others music. It should be possible to modify the files, so a common central format is needed. And pdf's wouldn't be flexible enough.

I though about having the stuff laying in a mysql database in musicxml format, and using lilypond for making sheets in pdf format from there.

So here goes:

1) Which are my options for converting musicxml to lilypond? How good is the conversion and how exotic can the typesetting get for this to work?

2) How good are the tools for exporting musicxml from the major commercial programs (finale, sibelius, musicator)? How about importing?

3) Is there a better way to go about this, for instance by making lilypond the central format? In that case how good (if existing) is the conversion between the major commercial notation software and lilypond and back?

4) Is there any obvious things I've overlooked?

5) Would this at all be possible at the moment?

Note that all conversions should be done automatically with no human correction to the output. In this case noone (except me:-)) is really interrested in either lilypond or musicxml, they just want to share music and such a site should "just work"...

Thanks in advance for any feedback, ideas and help.