Vertical Spacing Not Working

From: Will Oram
Subject: Vertical Spacing Not Working
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 03:22:12 -0400

Here I am again after a brief hiatus with lilyponding.

I'm using lily 2.8.5 for OSX. My goal is to spread n systems on a page vertically such that there is minimal white space between systems. Yes, I'm aware of the section in the manual on vertical spacing. I've tried it, tweaked it, and gotten nothing I expect.

My variation on the \paper chunk found in the manual:

\paper {
        between-system-padding = #4 [ed. note: or any value]
        ragged-bottom = ##f
        ragged-last-bottom = ##f
        line-width = 7.12 \in
        systemSeparatorMarkup = \slashSeparator
        scoreTitleMarkup = \bookTitleMarkup
}

On a one system page, it's pushed to the bottom, leaving half the page blank (unless there's a title, then the gap is even more apparent). On an n system page, it looks a *little* better, though excessive white space is still present, and the systems are still unstretched.

Or am I misinterpreting the use of the ragged parameters?

I don't dare succeed
if change always comes first
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #5)