Re: Vertical Spacing Not Working

From: Will Oram
Subject: Re: Vertical Spacing Not Working
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 04:29:49 -0400

It's technically what he said. The space between staves is definitely at a minimum. But all the space removed from these spots is just shoved to the bottom. The problem has not changed -- the glaring emptiness is just on a different area of the page. Page 1 of my current score has 7 to 9 cm of nothingness. It looks very unprofessional for a multipage score.

What I seek is dispersing white space between system staves. A system should take up as much of its alotted division as is practical. Look at a published full orchestra score. In most cases there is a single system per page, and it extends from top to bottom.

Will

> Well, no, I was aiming more for minimal white space everywhere. Not
> on top, not on bottom, the middle, in the aether. Only between
> system staves, plus enough between systems to distinguish them.

That's what he said.  If you want as little space between staves as
possible, then you want
\paper {
  ragged-bottom = ##t
}

> I've used lp long enough to remember that for the longest time what
> I'm asking was impossible. Perhaps it's still impossible and I'm
> misunderstanding the manual.

The 2.9.9 manual has a new chapter on spacing, and everything apart
from one subsection (which is marked) applies to 2.8.  Take a look at
that, and if you see any mistakes or can think of any improvements,
please let me know.

Cheers,
- Graham

I have to smile and remember
when you accuse me of that smell
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #3)

learn from Crunchy
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #2, by Brian Lauber)