Re: shape notes

From: Eduardo Vieira
Subject: Re: shape notes
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:16:06 -0300

Great! This topic was brought up right in time. I was about to post one
similar. In the past I had sent the attachment (shapednotesnew.pdf) to
Han-Wen, and I would like to request some changes to the shaped notes
design:
-> The half-notes (minims) in many shaped notes songbooks have one or more
sides that are thicker in order to match more with the style of the normal
half note.
-> I'd like to see the whole note (semibreve) the same size as the half
note, like a stemless half note. This style is common in many songbooks,
even in Southern Harmony. The normal semibreve in feta font has sizes that
are too thick to be matched with the other shapes. So my suggestion would be
to make it just like the normal half-note. This change should only happen,
of course, when the score is in shaped notes, otherwise the semibreve should
have the same (beautiful) design as usual.

I'd like to sponsor these changes, if I can afford them, and if nobody is
against it.
Here's a link to an old shaped-note songbook page. Notice that the size of
the semibreves (whole-notes) are just the same as the minims (half-note):
http://digital.lib.msu.edu/collections/index.cfm?action=view&TitleID=607&Format=jpg&PageNum=45

And here is another link about shaped-notes that offer a True Type font with
shaped notes. The design of the half notes are like the one I'm proposing:
http://www.paperlesshymnal.com/shapnote/shaped.htm

Regards,

Eduardo