Re: AllAbout Examples

From: Charles Cave
Subject: Re: AllAbout Examples
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:20:29 +1000

Graham,

I think this is a FANTASTIC suggestion and I am willing to contribute
some examples.

I am really struggling to learn enough about Lilypond to create
a simple cello + piano accompaniment score. The resulting output would
be the cello part, and the piano part.

The Lilypond has a lot of detail but it reminds me of trying to
learn another language with just a dictionary. I would like to
see a COOKBOOK approach (think of the Oreilly Perl Cookbook
for example) with a COMPLETE set of files to demonstrate how
to achieve a particular output.

My main areas of interest are:
  cello + piano accompaniment
  violn + piano accompaniment (should be similar to above)
  Strin quartet
  Piano quintet

I would like to see some suggestions on file naming conventions
and "Best practice" Lilypond coding. I often look at the mutopiaproject
for examples, but I get annoyed to find they are old versions and require time to upgrade and fiddle around with.

I would like to see the Lilypond examples to include annotations in
comments suggesting alternatives and a commentary of what is going on.

Thank you,
Charles Cave
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Fairchild wrote:
LilyPond documentation is good.  Newbies get started quickly with the User
Manual.  Regression Tests and Tips and Tricks contain a wealth of tutorial
material.  The Program Reference has detail for the initiated.

I propose using the rendered "Examples" section of the documentation (now
empty) to post a series of AllAbouts, prepared by users, each being an