Re: New user + notation queries

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: New user + notation queries
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:09:47 +0100

Thanks very much for the response!

> That you looked at an old email and the LilyPond is still developing
> quickly. To find a list of relevant properties to tweak, go to the section
> on Automatic Beams in the on-line manual and click on the link at the
> bottom to the Program Reference for Beam. Without having tried, I
> would go for the damping property.

I managed to find the appropriate part of the 2.8 documentation at
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.8/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/Beam.html,
which says,

- ----------
damping (number):
    1

    Amount of beam slope damping. 0: no, 1: yes, 100000: horizontal beams.
- ----------

So, I've placed the command \override Beam #'damping = 100000 into the
score.  Interestingly I have to place it separately into the \voiceTwo
section to see any effect there.  It does lessen the slope of the beams,
but it does not make them horizontal.

>> (2) In the second bar, you can see that there are sometimes rests in one
>> voice while the other voice is playing.  What I want is, first, that the
>> rests be invisible, but second, that there be short stems where the
>> "notes" (or rests) would be.  I tried using s (as in "skip") but did not
>> get any beams or stems.
>>

> That was an uncommon request! The best way I can think of to get the
> stems but
> no note heads is to use ordinary notes but make the note heads invisible:
> \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t

Uncommon requests are my speciality, I'm very picky about how I want my
scores to look! :-)  My instinctive thought would have been to do what I
would do in Finale, which is first to request both beams and stems over
rests, and then make the rests invisible.  But I would imagine the first
part isn't possible...?  I saw from the manual that getting beams to
extend over rests was supported, but saw nothing about adding stems in.

What frustrates me about the solution you propose is that it's a "cheat"
that takes away from what I have already learned to love about Lilypond,
its attempt to create correspondence between notation and the logical
structure of the music.

The reason why I want this particular notation, btw, is that the passage
is a mixed multiphonic/monophonic passage and I want to represent both
the two voices and the continuous sound that results.

>> (3) Is it possible to get alternative quarter-tone symbols?  In
>> particular I don't like the 3/4-flat sign; I'd much rather have the
>> combined backwards-flat plus ordinary flat "db" sign.  In other pieces I
>> might want to use accidentals-with-arrows as sometimes that seems to be
>> a preferable option.
>>

> You could try something like:
>
> \once \override Accidental #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
> \once \override Accidental #'text = \markup{ \override #'(word-space .
> 0.4) \line {\semiflat \flat }}

OK.  There isn't a way to write into the setup once and for all, "the
3/4-flat accidental is ..." ?