Re: Webern-style accidentals & transposition

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Webern-style accidentals & transposition
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 00:05:59 +0100

Hi Valentin,

On 8/31/07, Valentin Villenave < address@hidden> wrote:
2007/8/31, Rune Zedeler <address@hidden>:

>      \webernAccidentals

This is absolutely outrageous! As soon as I've seen your trick, I've
added it to the LSR, but while I was doing so someone has posted it
too! I thought I was the only guy who cares about the LSR, now what do
I have left???
;-)

Are you the first port of call for submitting corrections? I've noticed a few snippets which don't work properly, e.g. http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=295

I mentioned that particular snippet en passant in another thread, but nobody noticed...

Here's my snippet; it's more detailed than the other one, but since
English isn't my native language, if someone can rewrite it somehow it
should get much better.
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=314

That's great - I'd just suggest the following minor emendments:

In early XXth century works, starting with Schönberg, Berg and Webern (the "second" Viennese school), every pitch in the twelve- note scale has to be regarded as equal, without any hierarchy such as the classical (tonal) degrees. Therefore, these composers print one accidental for each note, even at natural pitches, to emphasize their new approach to music theory and language. This snippet (thanks to Rune Zedeler) shows how to achieve such notation rules with LilyPond.

Regards,
Neil