Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:25:32 +1100

Trevor Bača wrote:
None of which has anything to do with ottava spanners. Or with "octavated" (caveat: not an English word) clefs. So while both an ottava spanners and an octavated clefs most certainly do effect "octave transposition" (which is absolutely the right phrase here), I would never check the docs for "transposition" of any sort when looking up ottava spanners and octavated clefs. I would check for "ottava (spanners)" and "clefs".

I agree - I would look for 'ottava' or 'octave', but not for 'transposition', and I expect this would be the case for most users.

The term "octave clefs" crops up in many places on the 'Net, and while that doesn't prove anything, maybe that simple term would suffice - it certainly sounds more natural (to my ear at least) than "octavated".

Just a thought.

Brett