Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: till Rettig
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:39:13 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:46:42 +0200
> Von: "Risto Vääräniemi" <address@hidden>
> An: till <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
> Betreff: Re: GDP: What term do you use?

> On 28/02/2008, till wrote:
> > I just checked Felix Krohn again (well it is a bit outdated book but the
> >  best I could find here in the library) and he calls it "oktaava" :
>
> Thanks, Till, for checking this up. I asked my friend but he didn't
> remember any special name for it - he plays piano and organs and that
> kind of markings are probably not common in that kind on music.
>
> >  Korkeimmalla sävelalueella käytetään 8va---- (oktaava) merkintää
> viivaston
> >  yläpuolella...
> >
> >  I think we could just put it "oktaava merkintä".
> >  Note that he does a distinction in this way between oktaavi (Octave)
> and
> >  oktaava (Ocatvation ?). I guess the word is taken from the
> italian/latin
> >  origin.
>
> Did the book suggest using that as a common term for all octave
> changes (8va, 8vb, 15...)? 8va is easily translated as oktaava and it
> sounds pretty Finnish - 8vb and consecutively oktaavb on the other
> hand... :-) If we choose to use that then I'd loose the space and
> write it "oktaavamerkintä" (octava marking) or "oktaavamerkki" (octava
> mark).
I think the normal use would be to call all of them oktaavamerkki, and
say then something about "one octave down" or something like that. I mean,
8va obviously is an abbreviation, and 8vb even more, since the b means an own
word (bassa).
so yes, let's just have it oktaavamerkki (I actually would prefer -merkintä,
since it applies to a longer section and consists also of the dottet line).

till

Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/address@hidden