Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:35:01 +0200

Quoting Tim Rowe <address@hidden>:
Thanks. With that I've got something that is very nearly right.

Having given the music element pretty obvious names, I have in a
simultaneous section of the score:

   \new Voice = "mel" { \autoBeamOff \chorus \new Voice = "vs" {\verse} }
Here, I would rather say
\new Staff {
 \autoBeamOff \new Voice = "mel" { \chorus }  \new Voice = "vs" {\verse} }

to conceptually make it more clear that it's not a matter of nesting two Voices within each other, but rather that they are put in sequence.
If you wish, you can skip some braces and shorten it into:
\new Staff {
 \autoBeamOff \new Voice = "mel" \chorus  \new Voice = "vs" \verse
}

   \new Lyrics \lyricsto mel \chorusLyric
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto vs \verseOne
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto vs \verseTwo
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto vs \verseThree
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto vs \verseFour

The only thing wrong is that the verse starts with an anacrusis -- a
pickup beat, for which I've used \partial. The notes look perfect, but
the bar numbering is wrong because it's treating the incomplete bar at
the end of the chorus and the completion in the verse as two separate
bars.

If you use \partial 8, it is equivalent to using
\set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -1 8)

If you instead insert
\set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 7 8)
(assuming that the piece is in 4/4), the incomplete bar shouldn't be counted as a separate bar but as part of the existing bar.

   /Mats