tie engraver in staff? (Re: Tie doesn't tie)

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: tie engraver in staff? (Re: Tie doesn't tie)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:39:41 +0100

Op zondag 08 november 2009 schreef David:

> Hm.  Maybe ties should work at the staff level as fall-back.  Or even
> just explicitly.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say ~~ and have the
> tie work staff-level?  The current voice jigglery-pokery is not
> particularly nice, and it gets worse when working with <<\\>> when you
> have to start guessing the right \voiceOne and similar settings in order
> to have the invisible notes sit on the same place as the visible ones.

The trouble is that << \\ >> creates new Voice contexts. So not only ties but
everything (spanners etc) does not connect to notes in the outside Voice
context. Even if you have something like:

\relative c' {
  c( << { f g } \\ { f, g } >> d')
}

the slur does not notice the notes inside the << \\ >> construct.

The solution is put all related notes together:

\relative c' {
  << { c( f g d) } \\ { s f, g s } >>
}

or avoid << \\ >>, much longer to write:

\relative c' {
  \voiceOne
  c(
  <<
    { f g }
    \new Voice { \voiceTwo f, g }

  d')
}

But I think that this is properly enough documented.

> An artificial voice with invisible notes is pretty solidly pointing to
> missing functionality.

Agreed. Even when explicitly instantiating voices it remains necessary to use
them for e.g. cross-voice ties. Easy cross-voice ties would be very nice, as
they occor very often in keyboard music. This is an example that works:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Tie_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Voice
    \remove "Tie_engraver"

\new Staff \relative c' <<
  { c4 e~ g b }
  \\
  { a,2 e' }

But I don't know how it would affect more complex stuff such as multiple
voices with tied chords in a staff.

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--