Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 06:20:33 -0700

On 2/2/10 12:49 AM, "Johan Vromans" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Kirill <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> 4) Chords ARE produced by the converter, at least from Sib6 scores.
>
> There are chords in the .xml but not in the .ly.

This brings up an issue that has been concerning me in this whole thread.

I believe that a good xml dump from Sibelius is a wonderful tool, and I'm
delighted that Kirill has been working on it.  Thanks, Kirill!

However, it seems to me to be less than ideal to have both Kirill's xml->ly
converter and the lilypond xml2ly that Reinhold has worked on.  The
"official" xml2ly script has regression tests, and is well-maintained (now,
it wasn't always), and will work with any system that has LilyPond
installed, so it doesn't need additional tools.

It seems to me that the LilyPond community would be better served by
combining efforts on xml2ly instead of duplicating that functionality.

Now obviously, we can't (and don't really want to) tell any developer or
potential developer what to do.  But I would like to invite Kirill to try
out xml2ly on the Sibelius dump, and then see if his time working on xml to
ly converters might be better spent improving xml2ly.  Kirill, we'd love to
have you as part of the lilypond development team.

Thanks,

Carl