Re: lilypond tool and MidiInput

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: lilypond tool and MidiInput
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:43:51 -0700

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM, David Santamauro
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all (new subscriber),
>
> I'm a new lilypond user and am quite enthusiastic with my initial
> attempts. What a wonderful tool! One thing that tripped me up is
> speed of input so I did some research and found in the archives a
> post [1] that introduced a nice plugin for jedit that allowed one to
> input notes via midi keyboard. I think this is fantastic, thank you
> Andres Hawryluk (better late than ever, I guess).
>
> I noticed, though, that the plugin isn't 'jack-aware'. So I wanted to
> grab the source code and try to add that functionality (somehow with
> jjack) but the link [2] I found doesn't work.
>
> So, 2 questions: 1) Is the source code still available? and; 2) would
> anyone (Andrew) mind me fiddling with it?

Hi David, you're very welcome!

1) Yes, the link should still work (I just checked it), but I have
attached the file for you just in case.

2) I certainly don't mind your fiddling with it. Much of the
functionality has been absorbed into LilyPondTool, an extension to
jEdit written by Bertalan Fodor. You may want to give his package a
try before you do much work, because his is much more widely used and
better maintained. It is not JACK aware either, but you might as well
try them both first. That said, in LilyPondTool the MIDI input is
integrated into the virtual keyboard, which also changes the computer
keyboard into a specialized music entry tool. I can see how this could
be very efficient after some practice, but so far I still prefer the
light-weight approach that leaves me free to type any additional
elements (e.g. markups) as I enter music sequentially.

Andrew